Landscape Structure Plan
University of San Diego
PLANNING PRINCIPLES + GOALS
The following objectives concerning campus development were formulated through campus forums and stakeholder interviews.
Identity and Goals
- Create a clear sense of campus identity.
- Retain and strengthen the presence of the academic core on the Mesa.
Architecture and Landscape
- Develop a defined hierarchy of open spaces.
- Provide open space for informal recreation.
- Enhance pedestrian connections between campus districts through landscaping.
- Provide multi-modal access.
- Give preference to pedestrian routes in the academic core.
- Consolidate parking at the campus perimeter.
- Manage transportation demand.
- Develop a stronger sense of campus-centered University community.
- Create spaces for interactive studying.
- Centralize administrative uses to serve student needs.
- Integrate academic and student life programs and spaces.
Academic Space Needs
- Create a strong presence and identity for academic units, particularly the College of Arts & Sciences.
- Consolidate dispersed programs to facilitate program/service delivery.
- Appropriate sites for expansion.
- Express their commitment to sustainability in the physical campus environment.
- Leverage climate as an asset.
- Use campus resources more efficiently.
- Protect natural habitat and topography.
Building Use Plan